Skip to main content

Make the most of
tax-advantaged accounts

These peak earning years are the best time to maximize tax-advantaged contributions and provide the opportunity to strengthen your portfolio.

Boost your 401(k) contributions

If your employer offers a 401(k) plan, make participating in that a top priority and take full advantage of any employer match. Contribute as much as you can, up to the limit set by the IRS. You might also consider a contribution to a traditional IRA or Roth IRA.
Sign up for automatic payroll deductions if your employer offers it, which can make investing easier. And if you get a raise or bonus, think about using a portion for your retirement contributions instead of spending it.

Changing jobs? Don't forget your retirement plan

You may be able to roll your existing investment account over to a Traditional or Roth IRA, roll it over to a 401(k) at a new employer, take a distribution or leave the account where it is, depending on your unique financial needs and retirement goals. Each option presents different benefits and limitations with regard to available investment choices and services, fees and expenses, withdrawal rules, required minimum distributions, tax treatment, and protection from creditors and legal judgments. Additionally, there are limits to how often and when you can rollover your account.Footnote 1
Get started

Even a non-working spouse can help save for retirement

If you're married and file taxes jointly, you may be eligible to contribute to a traditional or Roth IRA on behalf of a non-working spouse (up to IRS limits). This can be a smart way to boost your household's tax-advantaged retirement assets.
If your spouse is self-employed with some income, consider a SIMPLE IRA or SEP IRA, which may have higher contribution limits depending on how much your spouse earns.
Take action:
Which IRA? Lets get started
Easy-to-use, powerful
tools can help you
find investments

that fit your
financial goals.

Complete your retirement picture with taxable investments

Because 401(k)s and IRAs are tax-advantaged accounts, they're powerful vehicles for pursuing your retirement investment goals. But there are contribution limits, and as you earn more and your retirement goals become clearer, you may find that a taxable account can help you pursue the retirement you envision.
Taxable accounts have no contribution limits or withdrawal restrictions and, unlike Traditional IRAs and 401(k)s, there's no tax on the principal when you withdraw it. And even in a taxable account, there are ways to possibly reduce your tax burden:2
  • Hold investments for more than one year to lessen the impact of capital gains taxes
  • Consider tax-efficient investments like index funds and tax-free bonds
Get started:
Ready to get started?
You have choices about what to do with your employer-sponsored retirement plan accounts. Depending on your financial circumstances, needs and goals, you may choose to roll over to an IRA or convert to a Roth IRA, roll over an employer-sponsored plan from your old job to your new employer, take a distribution, or leave the account where it is. Each choice may offer different investment options and services, fees and expenses, withdrawal options, required minimum distributions, tax treatment (particularly with reference to employer stock), and different types of protection from creditors and legal judgments. These are complex choices and should be considered with care. For more information visit our rollover page or call Merrill at 888.637.3343.
Merrill, its affiliates, and financial advisors do not provide legal, tax, or accounting advice. You should consult your legal and/or tax advisors before making any financial decisions.
Did you know that there are two ways to move assets from one IRA to another? The most common is a transfer. This is when you transfer assets from an IRA held at one financial institution to an IRA at another. You may directly transfer assets between investment firms as frequently as you wish. The second, less common approach is called a rollover. Rollovers occur when you withdraw assets from an IRA and then "roll" those assets back into the same IRA or into another one within 60 days. IRS rules limit you to one rollover per client per twelve month period. If you have questions or want to learn more call 888.637.3343 or consult a tax advisor.

A direct rollover occurs when you request that a rollover check be made payable directly to the new custodian for the benefit of your individual retirement account (IRA) or employer-sponsored retirement plan. A direct rollover is not subject to current tax or penalties.

An indirect rollover occurs when you request that a rollover check be made payable to you, after which you deposit the money into your IRA or another employer's retirement plan within 60 days. When such a distribution is made by the plan, the plan is required by law to withhold 20% of the taxable amount for prepayment of federal income taxes. If you wish to rollover the entire distribution, you must make up the 20% withholding out of your own funds, or you will be subject to income taxes and possibly early withdrawal additional taxes on the shortfall. If among other things you fail to complete the rollover within 60 days, all the money distributed to you will be taxable and a 10% additional tax for early withdrawals may apply.